Writing competitions across these three categories will again be held in 2017. Watch this space and check the February and March issues of the e-Newsletter and the March issue of Women’s Ink! for all details and forms regarding entry requirements.
Theme: Be Inspired by Giving Women a Voice
The Society of Women Writers NSW Committee would like to congratulate the following Winners:
National Non-Fiction Award for Essays and Articles 2015
- First Prize Pippa Kay "Breathtaking"
- Second Prize Carol Middleton "Dreaming of Freedom"
- Third Prize Pauline Harvey "The Doctor's Wife"
- Highly Commended Chystal Abidin "When you travel alone through foreign cities as a young woman"
- Commended Nicola West "The Fight"
National Poetry Competition 2015
- First Prize Cynthia Rowe "Union Rep Ruby"
- Second Prize Carolyn Alfonzetti "Canary Song"
- Third Prize Moira Kirkwood "Flowering"
- Highly Commended Gail Hennessy "Finding The Words"
- Commended Colleen Keating "In Search Of Hildegard Of Bingen"
National Short Story Competition 2015
- First Prize Michelle Reidy "This Is How A Voice Sounds"
- Second Prize Lynne Cook "No Words For It"
- Third Prize Erica Woolgar "Waiting For Mare"
- Highly Commended Judith O"Connor "Run Rabbit Run"
- Commended Bridget Mckern "Lady-In-Waiting"
The Biennial Book Awards for members of the Society of Women Writers NSW Inc will again be held in 2018.
POETRY - 2013 NATIONAL OPEN POETRY AWARD WINNERS
Winners presented on September 11, 2013 at Dixson Room, State Library of NSW
- FIRST PRIZE: Susan Fealy "The Hope Stone"
- SECOND PRIZE: Dr Frances Olive "At the Temple"
- THIRD PRIZE: Marilyn Peck "From My Bed on Dry Winter Mornings"
Gillian Hunt "Heartland"
Moira Kirkwood "Moto (artist to Genius)"
Ali Jane Smith "Sestina After a Marriage"
Lesley Walter "In Memoriam (of Vera Newsom)"
Winifred Weir "Summer Is and Has Been"
SHORT STORY - 2013 Winners of the National Open Short Story Competition
Winners presented on October 9, 2013, at Dixson Room, State Library of NSW
- First Prize: Sarah ENDACOTT "Shock-Shit"
- Second Prize: Julie CHEVALIER "An Honour that I"d thought not of"
- Third Prize: Claire AMAN "Wrangler"
Julie KEARNEY: "Killing Him Softly"
Suzanne GASKELL: "Beautiful Boys"
Julie CHEVALIER: "Little Fires"
A. POETRY - Winners presented on September 12, 2012 at Dixson Room, State Library of NSW
- First Prize: "We have one another now and again" by Winifred Weir
- Second Prize: "At the Crossing" by Lesley Walter
- Third Prize: "A Brief History of Fun" by Dr Penelope S Cottier
B. SHORT STORY COMPETITION - Winners presented on October 10, 2012 at Dixson Room, State Library of NSW
- First Prize: "Beyond Walls" by Susan McCreery
- Second Prize: "Caretaker Li and My Sanity Patch" By Meg Wallens
- Third Prize: "Marked" by Heather Bird